Baking soda, or bicarbonate of soda, is usually something every kitchen cupboard has, but no one realises just how versatile it can be. Everyone’s familiar with its use in cakes, pies and desserts but many people would be shocked to find out all of its other benefits!
Recently, baking soda has become a key ingredient outside of the kitchen, in day to day life and for people’s health. You can use it to get rid of bad smells, get over your cold, whiten your teeth… the list is endless!
You may be wondering, what is in baking soda that makes it so beneficial? Well, baking soda is made up of only one, simple ingredient- sodium bicarbonate. It works by calming the body’s internal chemical balance and it adjusts the pH level back to normal, helping the body get over a lot of illnesses!
For many years, people thought that using baking soda for all these things like dry skin, mosquito bites and smelly carpets was just an old wives’ tale, but increasingly, science is starting to prove that it works.
Here are some of the main health uses of baking soda:
- Treat insect bites or stings like mosquitos, wasps, bees.
- If you drink baking soda, it can help remove toxins and chemicals from household cleaning products that make their ways into our bodies, and could potentially be harmful.
- Calms indigestion/stomach pain.
- Bloating and gas
- Minimises coughs and sore throats
- Reduces the duration of cold and flu
- Kills bacteria in your mouth, keeping your mouth healthy
- Controls odours on fabrics like carpets
- Helps chemotherapy in cancer sufferers by providing the right pH environment for the medication to work
- Improves kidney function
- Splinter removal
- Sunburn remedy
Cosmetically speaking, baking soda can also work wonders to have you looking your best!
- Skin exfoliator
- Natural deodorant
- Homemade toothpaste
- Teeth whitener
- Foot soak to soften skin and remove odours
- Relaxing soak to reduce stress
- Hand cleanser
- Itchy skin relief
- Hair cleanser to remove chemical build-up from shampoos
But, unfortunately some of the old wives’ tales are true. Here are some health things it won’t do:
- Soothe your skin if you have a chronic skin condition
- Change your hair style
- Help your athletic performance
If used in moderation, baking soda can cure so many things and leave you looking and feeling great! Most people recommend drinking it every day in 3 doses, but this depends on what you’re using the baking soda for, so be sure to check before you do. It is safe to consume orally and it’s non-toxic, but it’s important not to exceed the recommended dose. As it is high in sodium, it is important to use it in limited doses.
If you have a medical condition, it’s best to check with a doctor before you start to make sure it’s okay to use with your condition. Baking soda cannot be used by anyone with high blood pressure, kidney disease or liver problems. Side effects of excess consumption may include headaches, thirst, stomach pain and tiredness.